Recipe for Greek Lentil Soup with Swiss Chard
Comments Off on Recipe for Greek Lentil Soup with Swiss Chard
Variations of this soup are served throughout Greece. If you don’t have Swiss chard, consider substituting spinach.
Greek Lentil Soup with Swiss Chard (Faki me Seskoula) Recipe Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons Greek olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups dried lentils, picked through and rinsed with cold water
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 pound fresh Swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup diced, canned tomatoes – with their juices
- 8 cups cold water
- Vinegar or dry wine, to garnish
Pour the olive oil into a soup pot and set the heat to medium. Let the oil warm for about a minute. Add the onion and celery and saute until they soften. This should take about five minutes. Stir in the lentils and garlic cloves. Saute for another 2-3 minutes. Stir in the Swiss chard and tomatoes and let them cook for about a minute until the chard just begins to wilt. Stir in the water. Cover the pan and let the mixture come to a boil. Set the heat to low and simmer the soup for about an hour. Sprinkle vinegar or dry wine into each bowl just before serving.
This post was written by GreekBoston.com