Recipe for Greek Style Macaroni With Chicken
Comments Off on Recipe for Greek Style Macaroni With Chicken
This is a popular and simple dish that is served throughout Greece for a simple meal. Ingredients may differ slightly depending on the region, but this recipe is fairly typical.
Greek Style Macaroni with Chicken and Wild Greens (Macaronia me Kotopoulo kai Horta) Recipe Ingredients:
- Salt, to taste (for the pasta water)
- 1 pound macaroni of choice
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, cut up chicken (cut to about 1-inch cubes or strips)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup Greek olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 cups wild, mixed greens such as dandelion, arugula, chicory, lamb’s quarters, amaranth, etc
- 12 pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- Grated Myzithra or Parmesan cheese, for serving
How to Prepare Greek Style Macaroni With Chicken and Wild Greens:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with a pinch or two of salt. Add the macaroni and cook according to the packaging directions. Drain the pasta once it’s done, but reserve about 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
While the water boils and the macaroni cooks, toss the chicken, vinegar, and black pepper together in a bowl. Set aside.
Pour the olive oil into a skillet and set the heat to medium. Add the garlic and saute for five minutes. Toss in the greens, olives, drained pasta, and prepared chicken mixture. Stir in a little of the pasta water if the mixture is too thick.
Top with grated Myzithra or Parmesan cheese right before serving.
This post was written by GreekBoston.com