Recipe for Youvetsi Nhstisimo – Lenten and Vegan Orzo in Tomato Sauce
Youvetsi is a traditional Greek stew that is usually made with beef or lamb. This vegan version is great for lenten fasting.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (or vegetable oil if fasting)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 medium sized, minced onion
- 1 can tomato sauce (14oz)
- 4 cans of water (use can from tomato sauce)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. Orzo
Sauté onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt, pepper, orzo and water. Cover the saucepan, bring mixture to a boil on medium heat and then simmer it on low flame until the orzo is soft and desired thickness is achieved. If the sauce gets too thick at any point during the cooking process, slowly add more water while stirring vigorously.
*Note: You can add fresh spinach or olives to taste. Add these to the mixture about 10 minutes before the end of cooking.
This post was written by GreekBoston.com