Poros is a small island-pair located in the southern part of the Saronic gulf. The two islands that make up Poros are Sphairia and Kalaureia. Sphairia is the southern part, which is of volcanic origin, and where the city is found. Kalaureia is the larger of the two islands. The two islands are connected by a bridge over a narrow strait. Poros was divided into two islands during antiquity.
The island is comprised of Mesozoic to Cenozoic sedimentary rocks (limestone and Flych-type sandstone), and ophiolites. Neogene volcanic rocks can be found on Sphairia. There are limestone caves on the island as well, with visible marine fossils in the limestone.
Kalaureia was home to a sanctuary dedicated to Poseidon. The ruins on a hill close to town are still accessible. The Sanctuary of Poseidon was excavated by Swedish archaeologists first in 1894. The Swedes have continued the excavations from 1997 in collaboration with the Greek National Heritage Board. Historians say that Kalaureia was the center of a religious alliance between its city-state and Athens, Poros, Aegina, Epidaurus, Hermione, Troezen, Nauplio, Orchomenus, and Prasaiai. Archaeology has found no evidence of this though, but now believe the “Calaurian League” to have been a Hellenistic invention.
During the Greek Revolution, Poros played an important role. Due to its location, it became the perfect place for Greek revolutionary leaders to meet and discuss future actions. The first Greek naval base was established in Poros 1828 and remained there until 1878. In September of 1828, the ambassadors of Russia, France, and England met in Poros with Ioannis Kapodistrias to determine the borders of the Greek state, which was established in 1830.
In his book “The Colossus of Maroussi,” Henry Miller wrote about Poros. Poros was also written about by Giorgos Seferis, Kostis Palamas, and Ioulia Dragoumi.
Administrative Region for Poros Island, Greece
Area of Poros Island, Greece
49.582 km2 (19.144 sq mi)
Population of Poros Island, Greece
Top Attractions in Poros Island, Greece
The Clock Tower – Located at the highest point of the island. Considered the landmark of the island. Offers a great view of the surrounding area.
Lemon Forest – A picturesque area with lemon trees, water mills, and small houses. The only lemon forest in all of Greece. During May, the island smells of lemon blossoms.
Russian Dockyard – Built in the 19th century in Kalaureia. This is the ruins of the Russian Naval Dockyard. Declared a historical monument in 1989.
Municipal Library – Located in Poros Town. House in a Neoclassical building. There is a small cinema room as well as exhibits that are put together.
Love Bay – 4 km north of Poros Town. A small beach surrounded by pine trees. A family friendly and organized beach.
Panagitsa Beach – A small beach 4 km north of Poros Town. Above this pebbled beach is a small chapel. The road from the beach leads to a monastery.
Megalo Neorio – 3 km northwest of Poros Town. Surrounded by greenery, this beach is family friendly and organized. Fish taverns can be found along the coast.
Monastery of Zoodohos Pigi – Established in the early 18th century. Dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The yard of the monastery features tombs of famous Greek fighters of the Revolution.
Archaeological Museum – Located in Town. Features finds from the Temple of Poseidon and other excavations in the areas. Museum was founded in 1960.
Askeli Beach – 3 km northeast of Poros Town. A family friendly beach organized with sun beds and umbrellas. Beach bars and water sports on site.