How to Say Yes in Greek
Comments Off on How to Say Yes in Greek
Whether you are actively learning the Greek language or simply need to know some words or phrases while you’re traveling, there are some words and phrases that you absolutely need to know. These are words that appear constantly in basic conversation, and in order to speak with natives, you will need to know how to say them. One of these essential abilities is that you will need to know how to say “yes” in Greek. Here’s more information:
Learn How to Say Yes in the Greek Language:
When someone asks you a certain type of question in the Greek language, the common answer is either yes or no. We have learned that “no” in Greek is όχι – ohi. In order to say yes, the typical way to say this is ναι – neh. Here are some examples of questions where the answer is yes:
In this example, someone is asking his friend if he wants to go to the movies. The answer is yes:
- Kosta, do you want to go to the movies? Κώστα, θέλετε να πάτε στις ταινίες; Kosta, thereto na pate sits tainies?
- Yes. I would like to go to the movies. Ναί. Θα ήθελα να πάω στις ταινίες. Neh. Tha ithela na pows tis tainies.
In this example, someone is asking her friend if she would like to go to a restaurant. In this case, her answer is yes:
- Katerina, would you like to go to a restaurant for dinner? Κατερίνα, θα θέλατε να πάτε σε εστιατόριο για δείπνο; Katerina, tha chelate na pate se estiatorio ya deepno.
- Yes. I would like to go to a restaurant for dinner. Ναί. Θα ήθελα να πάω σε ένα εστιατόριο για δείπνο. Neh. Tha ithela na pow se na estiatorio ya deepno.
Words and Phrases Involving the Word for Yes (ναι) in Greek:
There are also some fairly common words and phrases that involve the Greek word for yes (ναι). Here’s a look:
- yes of course – ναι φυσικά – neh fisika
- yes and no – ναι και ΟΧΙ – neh keh ohi
- yes or no – ναι ή όχι – neh I ohi
- oh yes – ω ναι – o neh
- yes my love – ναι αγάπη μου – neh agapi moo
- yes honey – ναι αγάπη μου – neh agapi moo
As you can see, yes is an important word that has a variety of uses. This is definitely a word that you can stand to memorize before you arrive in Greece!
The Learn Greek section on GreekBoston.com was written by Greeks to help people understand the conversational basics of the Greek language. This article is not a substitute for a professional Greek learning program, but a helpful resource for people wanting to learn simple communication in Greek.
Categorized in: Learn How to Speak Basic Greek
This post was written by Greek Boston
Share this Article: