Recipe for Greek Vegetable Eggplant and Zucchini Stew
Comments Off on Recipe for Greek Vegetable Eggplant and Zucchini Stew
Variations of this vegetable stew can be found throughout Greece. This recipe, however, originates in the northern islands of the Aegean.
Greek Vegetable Stew with Eggplant and Zucchini (Soufiko) Recipe Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons Greek olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 small eggplants, trimmed and cut into 1/2-3/4-inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/2-3/4-inch pieces
- 3 bell peppers, cut into strips
- 3 cups canned, diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups cold water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup fresh, chopped parsley
How to Make Greek Vegetable Stew With Eggplant and Zucchini:
Drizzle a large pot with the olive and set the heat to medium. Add the onions and saute for five minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
Stir in the eggplants, potatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, diced tomatoes, and wine. Cook the mixture together for 2-3 minutes.
Stir in the water, bay leaves, basil, salt, and pepper. Cover the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer it for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the parsley just before serving.
Categorized in: Authentic Greek Food Recipes, Greek Vegetable Recipes
This post was written by Greek Boston
Share this Greek Recipe: