Saying the Months in the Greek Langauge
Comments Off on Saying the Months in the Greek Langauge
When learning a language, there are certain groups of words that are absolutely essential. On the surface, it may not seem important to learn all of the Greek words for the months in the calendar year, but you will be surprised as to how common they are. You will absolutely need to know them when reading dates, for example.
Even if you are in the country during a certain month, you will encounter dates when reading signs, buying tickets, and observing the world around you.
The Months in Greek
Here’s a look at how to say each of the months in the Greek language as well as their common abbreviations:
- January – Ιανουάριος (Ιαν, Ι) – Ianouarios
- February – Φεβρουάριος (Φεβ, Φ) – Fevouarios
- March – Μάρτιος (Μάρ, Μ) – Martios
- April – Απρίλιος (Απρ, Α) – Aprilios
- May – Μάιος (Μάι, Μ) – Maios
- June – Ιούνιος (Ιούν, Ι) – Iounios
- July – Ιούλιος (Ιούλ, Ι) – Ioulios
- August – Αύγουστος (Αύγ, Α) – Avgoustos
- September – Σεπτέμβριος (Σεπ, Σ) – Septemvrios
- October – Οκτώβριος (Οκτ, Ο) – Oktovrios
- November – Νοέμβριος (Νοέ, Ν) – Noemvrios
- December – Δεκέμβριος (Δεκ, Δ) – Thekemvrios
Phrases Related to the Months
Sometimes, it’s not enough to know how to say the days of the week. You might need additional vocabulary. Here’s a look:
- What month is it? τι μήνας είναι; Ti minos einai?
- It is … Είναι … Eenai
- It is … Είναι Ιανουάριος … Eenai Ianouarios
- It is … Είναι Φεβρουάριος … Eenai Fevouarios
- It is … Είναι Μάρτιος … Eenai Martios
- It is … Είναι Απρίλιος … Eenai Aprilios
- It is … Είναι Μάιος … Eenai Maios
- It is … Είναι Ιούνιος … Eenai Iounios
- It is … Είναι Ιούλιος … Eenai Ioulios
- It is … Είναι Αύγουστος … Eenai Avgoustos
- It is … Είναι Σεπτέμβριος … Eenai Septemvrios
- It is … Είναι Οκτώβριος … Eenai Oktovrios
- It is … Είναι Νοέμβριος … Eenai Noemvrios
- It is … Είναι Δεκέμβριος … Eenai Thekemvrios
There is really no need to spend a lot of time memorizing this list. It’s enough to read this list over a handful of times and then let it go. Your goal is to know that these words exist. These words are so common, you’ll end up memorizing them through repeat exposure.
The Learn Greek section on GreekBoston.com was written by Greeks to help people understand the conversational basics of the Greek language. This article is not a substitute for a professional Greek learning program, but a helpful resource for people wanting to learn simple communication in Greek.
Categorized in: Learn How to Speak Basic Greek
This post was written by GreekBoston.com