Recipe for Kotopoulo Avgolemono – Chicken with Egg and Lemon Sauce
Comments Off on Recipe for Kotopoulo Avgolemono – Chicken with Egg and Lemon Sauce
The chicken in this recipe is finished with an avgolemono sauce, which is a popular sauce used in Greek cooking. This recipe is prepared throughout Greece with fresh chicken or other poultry.
Kotopoulo Avgolemono Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 whole chicken (3-4 pounds), cut in pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 3-4 large pieces
- 1 stalk celery, 3-4 cut into large pieces
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 6 scallions, trimmed
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 recipe Avgolemono sauce, prepared with the leftover broth from cooking the chicken plus extra broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh, chopped dill or parsley
Add the chicken to a large pot with the chicken broth, carrots, celery, bay leaves, peppercorns, scallions, salt, and pepper.
Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Simmer the chicken on low until cooked all the way through. This should take forty minutes.
Remove the chicken from the cooking liquid and strain into a pot. Prepare the avgolemono sauce according to the recipe using the liquid and adding more broth as needed.
Arrange the chicken on a serving dish and pour the sauce over.
This post was written by GreekBoston.com