Tinos is an island in the Cyclades group in the Aegean Sea. The island of Tinos is located toward the center of the island group. During antiquity, theisland was also known as Ophiussa (derived from ophis, the Greek word for snake) and Hydrossa (derived from hydor, the Greek word for water). These names come from the fact that the island was abundant in snakes and for the number of springs found on the island.
The landscape of the island of Tinos is varied. The island has many beaches. It’s highest point is Mount Tsiknias at 750 meters. The mountain of Exobourgo is a unique mountain on the island of Tinos as it is more jagged than round like the others. Between these two mountains there is the plain of Falatados, which is mostly flat terrain. The area around the village of Volax has giant boulders, some the size of multi-storey buildings.
When the Xerxes I invaded Greece, the Tenians were forced to serve in the Persian fleet. Right before the Battle of Salamis (480 BC), one of the Tenian trireme (an ancient vessel) deserted to the Greeks. The name of the Tenians was inscribed on the tripos at Delphi as one of the Grecian states that helped to overthrow the Persians.
Following the capture of Constatinople by the Fouth Crusade, the island of Tinos was one of several islands that would be ruled by private Venetian citizens. The island would belong to Andrea Ghisi whose heirs would hold it until 1390. The last member of the family to hold it would bequeath both the island of Tinos as well as Mykonos to Venice. The island was ruled by Venice until 1715 when it was captured by the Ottoman Empire. The Ottomans would rule Tinos until 1821 when the inhabitants joined in the Greek War of Independence.
Administrative Region for Tinos Island, Greece
Area of Tinos Island, Greece
194.5 km2 (75.1 sq mi)
Population of Tinos Island, Greece
Top Attractions in Tinos Island, Greece
Virgin Mary Church – Also called Panayia Evangelistria. This church is a good example of a traditional Greek Orthodox Church. It was built in 1823 by a Greek architect.
Sanctuary of Poseidon – Located in Kionia. This is the remains of the large Sanctuary of Poseidon and the sea-nymph Amphitrite that dates back to at least the 4th century, but it’s possibly older. It was used as a hospital where people would go to ask for God’s help.
Ursulines Monastery – Located in Loutra, this monastery was established in 1862. It was an educational center for women until the mid-20th century. In the exhibition rooms, there are laboratories of chemistry, music, painting, and even personal items of students.
Agios Ioannis Porto – 7 km from Chora. Because of its location it’s one of the most popular beaches on the island. A partly organized, sandy beach with accommodations conveniently located.
Isternia Beach – 20 km northwest of Chora. This is a small, secluded beach that is not organized. There are summer houses around this beach area.
Chalepas Museum – Located in Pyrgos. This museum is located in the house where Greek sculptor Giannoulis Chalepas was born in 1851 and where he lived for many years. The museum features many of his works as well as some personal items.
Jesuit Monastery – Located in Loutra. This monastery is housed in a 17th century building. There is a library, kitchen, and reading room and features displays of agricultural products and tools used to make shoes and furniture.
Museum of Marble Crafts – Located in Pyrgos. With a marble-filled history, it’s not surprising there is a museum dedicated to marble crafts. Also presented is the technology of marble from ancient times until present.
Kolympithra Beach – 14 km northwest of Chora. This is one of few beaches that doesn’t get as windy as the others on the island. This beach is surrounded by lovely vegetation and has crystal water.
Ormos Giannaki Beach – Located 15 km northwest of Tinos Town, below Kardiani village. The beach is sandy as well as pebbly and has crystal clear water. The beach offers a great view of the island of Syros.