Recipe for Greek Style Lima Bean & Beet Salad with Smoked Herring
Lima Bean & Beet Salad with Smoked Herring Ingredients:
- 3 1/2 oz. smoked herring fillet
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large, boiled and peeled potatoes
- 3 -4 cooked beets
- 2 large, peeled and cooked carrots
- 1 1/2 cups, dried and cooked lima beans
- 3 -4, thinly sliced chives
- 1/3-1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons, red wine type vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon, or black pepper chili pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
How to Make Greek Salad With Lima Beans, Beets, and Smoked Herring:
Cut the herring fillet into small strips, place in a bowl, and pour the milk over them. Leave for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. This will cut some of the very sharp and salty herring taste.
Cut the potatoes and beets into 1-inch cubes and slice the carrots. Mix the potatoes, lima beans, carrots, chives, and herring in a large bowl.
Mix the olive oil and vinegar and add the mustard and chili powder. Add very little salt, as the herring will still be quite salty.
Pour this dressing over the salad, toss, and arrange the beets on top. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
This post was written by GreekBoston.com