Learn Vocabulary for How to Say Your Name In Greek
Comments Off on Learn Vocabulary for How to Say Your Name In Greek
While conversing in the Greek language with someone you’ve never met, you might end up wanting to know each other’s names. To do this, you need to know not only how to say your name, but to ask someone what their name is. Here’s a look at all the vocabulary associated with saying your name in the Greek language, as well as asking someone what their name is:
Greek Vocabulary on Saying Your Name
- Name – Το όνομα – to onoma
- What is your name? Τι είναι το όνομα σου – ti einai to onoma sou?
- My name is… Το όνομα μου είναι … to onoma mou einai
- How are you called? (What is your name …) – Πως σε λένε? – Pos se lene?
- I am called … Με λένε …. Me lene
As you can see, there are two options for how to ask what someone’s name is and then how to respond to them. The two phrases are used interchangeably.
Same Dialog for How to Your Name in Greek
Are you wondering how these words and phrases fit into the context of a conversation? Here’s a sample dialog:
- Good Morning. How are you? – Καλημέρα. Τι κάνεις? – Kalimera. Ti kaneis?
- I am well. Thank you. Είμαι καλά. Σας ευχαριστώ. Eimai kala. Sas efcharisto.
- What is your name? Τι είναι το όνομα σου? or Πως σε λένε? – Ti einai to onoma sou? or Pos se lene?
- My name is John. Το όνομα μου είναι Υιάννης. 0r Με λένε Υιάννης.
- Thank you! Goodbye. Σας ευχαριστώ. Αντιο σας. Sas efcharisto. Adio sas.
That dialog is someone that could possibly happen. You don’t need to memorize every word of it. Instead, choose one way to ask someone what their name is and one way on how to answer. You can learn the other way if you nee to after the fact, but it is better to be comfortable with one method.
The Learn Greek section on GreekBoston.com was written by Greeks to help people understand the conversational basics of the Greek language. This article is not a substitute for a professional Greek learning program, but a helpful resource for people wanting to learn simple communication in Greek.
Categorized in: Learn How to Speak Basic Greek
This post was written by Greek Boston
Share this Article: