Greek Vocabulary Words Related to Time
Comments Off on Greek Vocabulary Words Related to Time
In a previous article, we discussed a common method for telling the time in Greek. The truth is, there are many other vocabulary words associated with the time. When you spend time talking with people in the Greek language or if you were to spend some time in Greece, you are sure to notice these words. Here’s a look at some of the important vocabulary words that you need to know that related to “time” in Greek:
Greek Words Related to the Time:
- Time – η ωρα – i ora
- Watch – το ρολόι – to roli
- Clock – το ρολό – to roli
- Daylight Savings Time – η θερινή ώρα – I therini ora
- Time Difference – η διαφορά ώρας – I diafora oras
- Time Zone – ζώνη ώρας – zoni oras
- Set my watch one hour back – γυρίζω το ρολόι μου μία ώρα μπροστά – yurizo to roli moo mia ora brosta
- Set my watch one hour ahead – γυρίζω το ρολόι μου μία ώρα πίσω – yirizo to roli moo mia ora piso
- Do you have the time? έχεις / έχετε ώρα; Ehees (informal)/ Ehete (formal) ora;
- Excuse me, do you have the time? Συγγνώμη, μήπως έχετε ώρα; signori, boros ehete ora?
- Yes, it is 20:05. Ναι, είναι οκτώ και πέντε.Ne, eenai okto kai pende.
- What time is it? τι ώρα είναι; To ora eenai;
- είναι (πέντε) η ώρα – eenai pence I ora – It is (five) o’clock.
- To be punctual – είμαι ακριβής – eemai akrithis
- To stand someone up – στήνω κάποιον – stono kapion
While in Greece, you will need to be familiar with the time. These vocabulary word are pretty common and you are sure to encounter them while learning Greek. Read through this list to get familiar with them and memorize them if possible.
The Learn Greek section on GreekBoston.com was written by Greeks to help people understand the conversational basics of the Greek language. This article is not a substitute for a professional Greek learning program, but a helpful resource for people wanting to learn simple communication in Greek.
Categorized in: Learn How to Speak Basic Greek
This post was written by GreekBoston.com