Easy Greek Inspired Vegetable Soup Recipe
Comments Off on Easy Greek Inspired Vegetable Soup Recipe
Some nights, you just want to throw together a simple pot of soup that you can enjoy. This easy vegetable soup features Greek flavors and makes for a nice meal. The fun thing about this recipe is how versatile it is. Feel free to use ingredients you might already have on hand!
Greek Inspired Vegetable Soup Recipe Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped vegetables of choice, such as carrots, celery, zucchini, squash, Brussels sprouts, or other vegetables that are good in soup
- 1 carton of broth of choice (32 ounces) – use any broth you want, such as vegetable, beef, or chicken
- 1 medium can diced tomatoes (approximately 14.5 ounces)
- 2 cups chopped greens, such as spinach, kale, cabbage, or escarole
- 1 medium can beans of choice, such as chick peas, navy beans, or lentils (Place the beans in a strainer and rinse them under cool water before using.)
- 1/3 cup orzo or other small pasta, optional
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
Note: Recipe serves 4-6 people, depending on portion sizes.
How to Prepare Greek Inspired Vegetable Soup:
Add the olive oil to a large soup pan. Set the heat to medium and let the oil heat for about 1 minute.
Add the onions and sautee for about 5 minutes so that the onions get soft.
Add the vegetables and sautee for another 5 minutes.
Stir in the broth, greens, beans, orzo, bay leaves, oregano, salt, and pepper.
Cover the pot and bring the soup to a boil on high. Once it boils, set the heat to low and simmer it for 15-20 minutes.
This post was written by GreekBoston.com